Young person fare
We know that you've got plenty to spend your cash on already, that's why you can purchase a young person ticket right up until your 22nd* birthday....
*My Travel Pass card required – details below.
Aged 16 to 21
You’ll need to get a My Travel Pass card, part of the Welsh Government’s My Travel Pass Scheme, which you must present when buying your ticket.
Click here to apply online for a My Travel Pass card.
This will give you you 30% off our on bus fares. You will also need this card when purchasing Young Person tickets on the app.
Once you have received your My Travel Pass card, you will need to visit our travel centre at 47 Westgate Street or at our head office on Sloper Road (CF11 8TB) to have your ticket type (other than single tickets) added to your card.
The My Travel Pass can only be used by the person named and shown on the card.
If you have already bought a ticket, place your My Travel Pass on the card reader as you board the bus. The ticket machine will beep to inform the driver your card has been accepted. If there is an issue with your card, the driver may ask you to place the card on the reader again so they can see if there is a valid ticket on your card.
If you’d like to buy a ticket on the bus, make sure you have visited our travel shop before you need to travel so that the ticket type can be added to your card. Then simply tell the driver which ticket you’d like to purchase, then place your card on the reader and your money in the vault.
To find out more about the Welsh Government’s My Travel Pass Scheme click here.
Please note, holders of the existing Cardiff Bus young persons' iff cards will not work after the holder's 19th birthday and all tickets will expire. You will need to apply for a 16-21 My Travel Pass.
Aged 5 to 16
Children less than 5 years of age may accompany an adult fare paying customer free of charge providing they do not occupy a seat required by an adult customer.
Where a child under 5 is accompanied by another youth fare customer then either both pay the youth fare or one should pay the adult fare and the other travel free.
Obviously the second option will be the cheaper.
Unaccompanied children under 5 will be charged at the appropriate youth fare for the journey being made.
- £1.30 single - anywhere in Cardiff, Penarth, Sully, Dinas Powys
- £1.90 single - as above and including Barry
- £2.60 all day travel or £2.50 on app - anywhere in Cardiff, Penarth, Sully, Dinas Powys
- £3.60 all day travel or £3.50 on app - as above and including Barry
- £9.60 travel all week or £9.40 on app - anywhere in Cardiff, Penarth, Sully, Dinas Powys & Newport
- £13.40 travel all week - as above and including Barry
- £11 Freedom ticket - 12 single journeys in Cardiff City Area* - available on your iff card or app
Click here to see the fares for Service 30 to Newport.
* Cardiff City Area (i.e. the area covered by the City and County of Cardiff) is defined as the area bounded by Ffordd Berllan, Thornhill Crematorium and Heol Hir/Capel Gwilyn Road in the North; St. Brides Road (A4232 crossing), St. Fagans turning point, Drope (The Terrace), Rhur Cross, Leckwith Bridge, Penarth Road/Brindley Road and Cogan Spur in the West and St. Mellons County Club in the East.