Become a Cardiff Bus driver
1 month ago
Join the best team in town
Best Team Best Pay Best Training Best Package
Cardiff Bus is looking to recruit new team members to help provide a vital service to our local community and drive us forward at an exciting time of change.
We’re looking for both trained PCV drivers and newcomers into the industry.
What to expect?
At an exciting period of transformation; you will join a great team with access to a great fleet ensuring your journey into a career at Cardiff Bus is as smooth and environmentally friendly as possible. You’ll find that every day is different and filled with variety, so if you love interacting with people, making a difference each day and fancy an office with a view, this really could be the role for you!
Our dedicated world class training team will support you each step of the way, whether this is your first time experiencing the industry or if you already have a licence; with tailored training and continuous development through CPC, we will equip you with all the tools needed.
What we offer?
Trainee Bus Drivers
In addition to learning a new skill or further developing your driving ability, we offer:
- Paid Breaks – you are paid for all the hours you are in work – no unpaid time!
- Average working week of 41hrs with a choice of 4 or 5 days - all hours paid.
- Competitive remuneration: starting rate of £10.25 p/h which will increase once you obtain your PCV licence to £10.78* p/h, then a further increase after one years’ service to £12.05* p/h. (*Monday – Friday basic rates). Enhanced hourly rates for Saturdays and Sundays apply (Saturday – less than 1 year service £13.05/over 1 year service £15.25; Sunday – less than 1 year service £13.35/over 1 year service £15.70) - which are the best in the region for the public transport sector!
- World class training programme with experienced instructors and mentors to support your CPC and maintain your Driver Qualification Card and your continual professional development
- FREE travel pass across the Cardiff network for you and your immediate family (scheme rules apply)
- Free on-site parking
- Full uniform for customer-facing roles
- Comprehensive benefits package including, contributory pension scheme, holidays, retail and gym discounts, cycle to work scheme, employee assistance programme, occupational sick pay scheme, occupational health assessment and 24/7 access to our wellbeing hub.
- Opportunity to develop and branch out into other areas of the business.
- A career where every day is different, both challenging and rewarding!
PCV Licence Bus Drivers
Already a PCV Licence Holder in addition to the great benefits mentioned above, then we are currently offering a sign-on bonus to join our team in Cardiff of £500.
Hours of work
Our services run across Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan and Newport. We operate 7 days a week from early morning until late in the evening, therefore, the role requires a high level of flexibility due to its shift work. This means you will be required to follow a rota which involves early morning starts or late finishes on some days, including weekend work. You will get advanced notice of your schedule/duties to promote a good work/home life balance. You may also be required to work on Bank Holidays and other public holidays.
The work is rota based and operates on 3 shift patterns and duty schedules are based on a 5 day working week. We operate a service 7 days of the week, with some 4 day working rosters.
The 3 shifts are as follows:
Early turns: starting from 04.00am
Middle turns: starting mid-morning and finishing mid-evening
Late turns: starting from mid-afternoon and finishing at midnight or just after
Once you have your PCV Licence and are successfully placed in traffic; there will be options to express interest and apply for specific rosters. – This will also include the option to work part time covering a certain number of hours over our busier times; weeknights and weekends. Should this be a preference; please express your interest at interview stage where your options will be discussed further.
Considering a career with us as a bus driver?
Here’s all you will need to apply;
- Be over 18 years of age
- Hold a current full UK driving licence that’s been valid for more than 12 months, with no more than 6 points: Previous driving records will be considered including disqualification and endorsements.
- Have demonstratable Customer Service Experience.
- Enjoy driving meeting and working with the public.
- Be patient, polite and friendly when dealing with people.
- Be prepared to do shift work including both early mornings, late nights and weekends.
- Be extremely reliable and have excellent time keeping and work attendance levels.
- Not exceed a H&S weight requirement of 20 stone (127kg) – this is as a result of safety specifications for a certain number of driver ‘cab’ areas. This is an area we constantly review.
- Employment references will be sought and any criminal convictions subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act must be declared on the application form.
Know someone who works for Cardiff Bus already?
If so, remember you can take advantage of our staff referral scheme; speak to us for full details - (Exc. Apply)
If you would like to join the best team in town, with great pay, benefits and career progression opportunities, then what are you waiting for…..
Click here to apply for our driving vacancies
We look forward to hearing from you!